Saturday, June 16, 2018

The truth will soon be known



Greetings:
The wait is almost over. I and thousands of other Hoosier adult adoptees, born between the years 1941 through 1993, will soon learn an important fact about our lives.
Starting July 1, a piece of legislation passed by the Indiana General Assembly and signed into law by former Indiana Governor and current Vice President Mike Pence in 2016, becomes law.
In essence, what this law does is open previously court-sealed adoption records and original birth certificates, revealing the names of our biological mothers, and in most cases our biological fathers.
For adoptees, this is a huge deal and something that only came about after a nine-year legislative fight by members of the Indiana Adoption Network and Hoosiers for Equal Access to Records (HEAR).
Bloomington resident Pam Kroskie, who serves as president of both organizations, led the fight and lobbying battle.
The new law was authored by former Indiana State Senator Brett Steele, from Bedford, and signed into law in 2016 by former governor and current Vice President Mike Pence as SEA 91.
Fruit from that fight will finally come to adoptees, who have not been able to know who their biological parents were, and they've been denied valuable medical information that probably would have saved lives of some affected adoptees, who have already died.
For me personally, I have been engaged in search for my birth parents that first started in 1988. Opening of the records hopefully will confirm information about my biological family that I am trying to piece together. This takes nothing away from the agape, genuine love and care I received from my wonderful adoptive parents, who are now deceased.
I am reminded of a scripture, Jeremiah 1:5 (NIV), which reads, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you..."
Now we, who were adopted, will get the chance to know the identity of our birth parents. For me, that will come more than 65 years after I was born in April 1953 at St. Elizabeth's Home for Unwed Mothers in Indianapolis. I was adopted in July 1953 and was raised as an only child.The idea that I might actually have a parent or siblings alive is so overwhelming.
The time is way overdue for my records to be unsealed.
I am thankful for the work of those who never gave up and saw this change in the law evolve from a  dream to reality through hard work, perseverance and a lot of prayer.
On Friday, I was interviewed by an Indianapolis television reporter from WRTV-Channel 6 about my story.

Click on the following link to learn more.
https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/indianapolis/state-to-open-adoption-records-from-1941-through-1993-on-july-1

Be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pray with expectancy

  Note - For the next several days I will be off the grid with no Internet or phone service. I will resume my morning writings on Monday.  ...