Friday, March 23, 2018

Forgive to be forgiven

Greetings:
It is never ease to forgive.
By our nature, forgiveness does not come without a personal struggle within. We must first remember that as a Christian we received forgiveness freely when Jesus died on the cross on for each of us long ago. The price of forgiveness has been already been paid in full.
If we understand how great that debt was, we will overflow with love and gratitude for this merciful act. We will overflow with mercy towards others.
Too many times we carry around the burdens of our own failures, shortcomings or disappointments and we do not forgive ourselves.God died for our own forgiveness as well as for the act of forgiving others.
We also have to forgive our enemies - those who have wronged us, hurt us and despised us. We have to forgive those who said and did bad things against us.
We have to forgive those who have plotted against us in any way - even our Christian brothers and sisters as well as non-Christians.
Some of my deepest hurts have come from professing Christians and it took and is still taking a while for me to get to a point where I could or will  honestly say I forgive them.
I, like you, must forgive them all, no matter what. When we do, it opens the door for God to act in our lives. Unforgiveness hinders or stops our prayers from being answered.
We might say, "God, you don't understand, what this person did to me. Many times they were and still are terrible, mean, spiteful, full of vengeance, malice and hate.
Do we really have to forgive them too?"
Yes, and we have to even do more than just forgive them, that's the easy part. The Bible directs us to pray for them.
In Matthew 5:44 (NIV),  Jesus said, “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
You will be amazed to see how your heart will be changed when you pray for your enemies.
But what if they don't accept that act of forgiveness and scoff or ridicule us, do we still forgive them?
Yes.
I've experienced that end of forgiveness and it hurts, but it took me a while to realize that I did my part. I forgave them and I still continue to pray for them.
I felt better when I asked for their forgiveness. I was given my release.
The message of forgiveness is one of those things that is simple, but complex at the same time.
Take to heart what it says in Ephesians 4:32 , which reads,  “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
The key words here are, 'we are forgiven' by grace and the blood shed by Christ. It's nothing we earned or deserve.
Be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pray with expectancy

  Note - For the next several days I will be off the grid with no Internet or phone service. I will resume my morning writings on Monday.  ...