Saturday, December 7, 2013

Finding our purpose

Greetings:
There are times in life when God wants to slow us down and force us to listen.
My life is generally very busy, but in the last day or so the pace has slowed because of this snow.
Yesterday was one of those day of reflection that God gives us.
With the blanket of snow that measured more than 9 ½ inches here at my homestead, I found myself home all day – unable to get out of or even see my driveway.
I did work from home most of the day, but there was some down time to reflect and pray.
God showed me some things that opened my eyes.
God impressed on me that I am my own worst critic. Not sure why, but I am still seeking to write that perfect story, perfect blog and take that perfect photo.
Have those kinds of thoughts kept into your mind that you’re not good enough, smart enough, or gifted enough?
Do the critical words you say to yourself, or hear from others, make you question your worth?
Are you ever tempted to find your worth in your job, your house, your appearance or the approval of others?
Do you feel like no matter what you do, it will never be  good enough?
Do you want to be free from the fears and doubts that hold each of us back so that we can not fulfill God’s plans for our life.
John 8:32 (Amplified Bible) says, “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
How do we find the truth?
Do we glean it from what our pastor says on Sunday morning?
Do we get it from the culture, from a good book, or from what others tell us?
To fully understand what the truth is that will set you free, you need to also look at John 8:31. It reads: “So Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples.”
This verse shows that freedom is always preceded by discipleship and holding to Christ’s teaching. Therefore, fulfilling your purpose always is in the context of a relationship with Christ.
The light in my mind has been clicked on.
It doesn't matter how successful you are outside your home. You are missing your destiny if you are not becoming more and more like Jesus in your household.
If you are not growing in the love and knowledge of Christ at home -- you are not fulfilling your destiny.
I pray I can be a better husband, father and grandfather in the coming days, weeks, months and years.
Too much time has been lost seeking to please others. It's time to please God and be a better person.
I thank the Lord for the precious trips to the 'woodshed' that he sometimes gives me to wake me up, open my eyes to make me understand myself and my purpose.

These morning messages are now available by email. Simply write me with you email address at schneider.nick@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to forward them to your in-box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pray with expectancy

  Note - For the next several days I will be off the grid with no Internet or phone service. I will resume my morning writings on Monday.  ...