Saturday, December 28, 2013

Resolve to follow God's lead and do His will

The beauty of a winter evening sky.
Greetings:
Another new year is almost upon us – a celebration of  the passing from one calendar year to another.
It the time when many make New Year’s resolutions as a way of  walking away from a habit or making a  lifestyle change.
Among the most popular resolutions are: spending more time with family and friends; to get more fit with regular exercise; lose weight; quit smoking; get out of debt; help others more; or get organized.
These resolutions that we promise to commit to every year are supposed to make us feel better about ourselves and our loved ones and do better.
There is something about the start of a New Year that gives us the feeling of a fresh start and a new beginning.
I have for years made resolutions – only to fail a few weeks, even days into the new year.
I've done a little reading the past few days and found out that the Bible does not speak for or against making a resolution.
As Christians, what kind of resolution should we make?
Do we need  to pray more, read the bible more or attend church on a regular basis?
John 15:4 (The Amplified Bible) reads: “Dwell in Me, and I will dwell in you. [Live in Me, and I will live in you.] Just as no branch can bear fruit of itself without abiding in (being vitally united to) the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you abide in Me.”
Before making resolutions this year I am going to pray and ask for God's wisdom.
I will pray that God gives me the strength to complete my resolution goal.
I am not going to allow failures to stop me, and I ask God to help me stay motivated.
Whatever happens I am going to give God all the glory.
Proverbs 19:8 (Amplified Bible) says, “He who gains Wisdom loves his own life; he who keeps understanding shall prosper and find good.”
I am unable to do anything without God’s help.  I do humbly ask God  by his grace to enable me to keep my resolutions, so far as they are sensible and agreeable to his will.
"
In making resolutions for the glory of God and before the face of God, we must not come into His presence pounding our chests in  arrogance as if God must now love and bless us more because we have made certain resolutions to follow Him more.
We should approach God in humble reliance on his grace as we seek not merely the blessings but the one who blesses others.
The whole matter of making resolutions is not just goal setting so that we might have happier lives. We are called by God to live according to His will, not our own — for Christ’s sake, not our own.
We need to remember the words of Psalm 115:1 (The Amplified Bible) which reads: “Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to Your name give glory, for Your mercy and loving-kindness and for the sake of Your truth and faithfulness!”
Let God guide our resolutions and depend on him to make every day a new day, a better day, a day filled with more happiness, love and mercy than the previous day.
Let every day also allow us draw us closer to God, the author and creator of all.
If we want to change for the better, walk closer to God and we won't need to depend on some spoken resolution to do better. Make it a heart and soul resolution this year to put Christ and His will first and foremost.

These morning messages are now available by email. Simply write me with you email address at schneider.nick@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to forward them to your in-box.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pray with expectancy

  Note - For the next several days I will be off the grid with no Internet or phone service. I will resume my morning writings on Monday.  ...