Saturday, September 22, 2018

Keep running the race

  Greetings:
  Perseverance allows us to consistently pursue a goal or unwaveringly live out our beliefs, regardless of obstacles or difficulties.
  In 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, the apostle Paul compares the pursuit of the Christian life to a foot race.
  I love his analogy that shows the importance of persevering in the race of faith in order to attain our spiritual reward.
  I really like the way the passage reads in the New Living Translation: “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.”
  It's important to pace your effort.
  Christians sometimes try to accomplish too much too quickly, relying on their own strength rather than on God's power.
  Waiting on the Lord's timing sets an appropriate pace so we don't burn out.
  In the middle of long races, like a marathon, runners sometimes "hit the wall," a point where they feel physically and emotionally spent.
  From their perspective, the finish line is far away and quitting is a strong temptation.
  When Christians continue running, choosing obedience over emotions, they will eventually experience a "second wind," a renewal of God's strength that will sustain them to the finish line.
  This past week I have experienced the rewards of my own perseverance. On Wednesday, I met my Birth Mother face to face for the first time in more than 65 years. My journey to find her started three decades ago. There were days, weeks, months and years of frustrations, delays and what looked to be dead-ends. But the wait for God's timing was worth the reward.
Getting to hug her, see her smile and tell me she loved me was something I cannot describe and will never forget. I am grateful for and in awe of God's goodness in answering my prayers.
  Be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pray with expectancy

  Note - For the next several days I will be off the grid with no Internet or phone service. I will resume my morning writings on Monday.  ...